New 2017 CT6.... first impressions - Cadillac CT6 Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

New 2017 CT6.... first impressions

2017 Cadillac CT6 Luxury AWD, 3.6L with Enhanced Vision & Comfort Package, Active Chassis Package and Stellar Black Metallic, Jet Black interior

I've owned this car for almost three weeks and for the most part, its first 600 miles have been fine with two exceptions. I am hoping that they can be resolved.

First, the auto-stop feature has an annoying stutter and the car jerks into motion when it starts up in intersections. For that reason, I have to remember to disable the feature every time I start the car and head out on the roads. Not sure if there is something wrong with the car, or it's the quality that we have to settle for these days. It's going back to be checked out.

Second, I'm wondering about my decision to order the Active Chassis Package because of the rough ride that these Goodyear Touring 245/40 R20 tires are producing. It's going back to the dealer so the tires can be checked for roundness, balance or defects. There doesn't seem like any difference between Touring or Sport mode changes. If Cadillac sent the car out with a defective tire, that would actually be good news, though unfortunate. Removing these wheels and tires and getting 19" 245/50's installed would cost over $3000.00 and not sure if it would be a better ride. Test drives didn't give me any clues that the CT6 is a rough rider.

In spite of these two issues, it's a nice looking car with nice features. If I could get it to ride a bit smoother and not jerk at intersections, I would like this CT6 a whole lot more. I've had several Cadillacs and they've all been great cars.
post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for sharing your impressions and congratulations on the new purchase.

That stuttering really does sound like something normal and if it is, that's an issue I would seriously be annoyed and frustrated about. With the active chassis package you should be able to tell the difference between modes though, even with the tires that could be providing a rougher ride.

Definitely in to hear what the dealer has to say about this situation. Thankfully nothing too serious is wrong though.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Update
I was confident that this great car was capable of a better ride and here's the update: The dealer determined today that this car was shipped with four defective Goodyear 245/40r20's and ordered 4 new tires. They plan on replacing them on Monday. Each one was seriously out of round.

A few days ago, I asked for advice via the Goodyear website and they graciously reached out with advice. Their initial hunch involved flat-spotting due to vehicles' long-term parking on dealer lots. They suggested, if this was the case, to pump each tire to maximum psi and drive at highway speed for 20 minutes and then deflating to suggested pressure. I knew this wasn't a flat-spotting issue, because of the nature of the rough ride and the fact that the car was built just a few weeks ago. Thankfully, the dealer is taking care of the solution.

So that should solve the rough ride issues, next to address is the transmission/engine/auto-stop lurching problem.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 PM

My 3.0 TT platinum once in a great while has that stutter on auto-stop feature. But not enough to annoy me.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Thankfully the dealership is dealing with one of your headaches. Just hope they can figure out that lurching and don't tell you that its' normal.. I just realized my initial reply said "does sound like something normal" when I meant doesn't !
post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ruby1 and CeeTee
The dealership has been very good and kept the car for a few days. It now has four new tires and so far, I think they're actually round.

They thoroughly road-tested my car, along with a few other factory fresh CT6's on the line and said that the 8 speed transmission on all GM cars acts that way and they get complaints all the time. It's the nature of the current generation of cars and to get used to the auto-stop/start feature. It will be on all cars soon, with NO over-ride button. The six speed transmission on an XTS with the same engine shifts like butter...very nicely. They had me drive one to compare.

Evidently, the occasional lurching, almost-stall stutter and gear confusion is just one of those things to accept. I find it amazing how new car buyers accept this kind of thing, but I'm just too fussy.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2016, 05:46 PM

I wonder if some of these issues seemingly coming from the engine might be a result of things as simple as injector sizing and other fuel and air delivery/gateway systems, even ECU. Wouldn't doubt some of this has been sacrificed in order to get the product out right away.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 03:54 PM

Something like injector sizing, air/fuel delivery, or ecu parameters being slightly off can cause significant damage to the engine. When it comes to the essentials of an engine needing to run properly for a long period of time, it definitely isn't simple. These are things that would be stupid to sacrifice in order to get a product out right away because it would result in that same product coming back to get fixed/recalled which in turn would cost more in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac CT6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page